- Chinese Character Dictionary (mandarintools.com), search a radical with a range of residual strokes and print results as *.gif, unicode, GB, or Big5.
- Animated Characters, shows the stroke order and direction for most characters using animated *.gif.
- Zhongwen: Chinese Characters and Culture, wide range of information, including extensive etymology of each character, online dictionary, full text of Dao De Jing, and Confucian works.
- Chinese Forums, Chinese Language and Culture forum, searchable and posting topics is available after free registration.
E-texts, News and Journals in Chinese
- “Hua Xia Wen Zhai”, Chinese Reader’s Digest; with special columns such as news, literature, memoirs, history, essays, politics, etc.
- Chinesenewsnet, news, essays, reports, discussion, etc.
- China Today, general information provided by the government.
- China Vista, offers in-depth information on China business, industry and culture, accessible in both Chinese and English.
- New Threads, (Xin Yu Si) e-texts; social commentary, politics, literary criticism, encyclopedia, etc.
- Wen Xue Cheng, (City of literature) literary criticism, reports, social commentary, etc.
- Yifan Public Library, e-texts in classical and modern literature.
- Baidu, Chinese search engine.
- Deutsche Welle Chinese Broadcast, click the speaker icon to listen to Chinese daily news.
- The Central People’s Broadcast of China, Station (1)
Academic Sites and Addresses
- Reading Chinese Online
- Association for Asian Studies, Asian related academic publications, research projects and conferences.
- Modern Chinese Literature and Culture, MCLC resource center in OSU.
- Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures at OSU, useful links to people and databases.
- Reading and Writing Chinese Characters and Pinyin on the Web Using Unicode, Great resource for making webpages with Chinese characters and pinyin.
- Website101 – Master Text to HTML Converter, Converts anything to html using unicode; a good tool to convert Chinese characters to unicode.
- Pinyin to Unicode, Type in the pinyin, and it will display the html unicode reference needed to display the pinyin in html.